Certified Copies / Translations

What is a certified copy?

A certified copy of a document is an unaltered copy of an original document that has been certified as being a true copy by an authorised person. Every page must be certified – not just the first one.

When you ask someone to certify a copy of a document, you need to take both the original document and the copy with you. The certifier needs to compare them to certify they are exactly the same.

What if my documents aren’t in English?

Non-English documents must be accompanied by an authorised English translation. NIT accepts translations either authorised by NAATI translators or one of NIT’s authorised education agencies.  NAATI translated documents must display the official NAATI stamp provided to qualified translators; the stamp shows the level of accreditation and the direction in which they are accredited to translate.

A translator outside Australia does not need to be accredited, but they must endorse the translation with their full name, address, telephone number, and details of their qualifications and experience in the language being translated.

Who can certify documents?

Documents submitted within Australia:

  • NIT staff member
  • NIT registered agent
  • Solicitor
  • Pharmacist
  • Justice of the Peace
  • Member of the police force
  • Doctor
  • School principal
  • Bank manager
  • Chartered accountant

Documents submitted outside Australia:

  • NIT staff member
  • NIT registered agent
  • Solicitor
  • Commissioner for declarations
  • Government official
  • Public notary
  • University staff from your previous university (head of department, dean, or registrar)
  • Institute that issued the original document

Alternatively, you can ask your current or previous education institution to send copies of your academic transcripts, graduation certificate and grading systems direct to NIT. These must arrive in a sealed envelope sent directly from the institution. In this case, you don’t need to provide certified copies of these documents – but you still may need to provide certified of other documents, so check carefully.

What does the certifier need to do?

An approved certifier must ‘sight’ (or view) the applicant’s original academic transcripts, graduation certificates, grading systems and other documents, and check that the copies are true and unchanged copies of the original documents.

The certifier must then certify every page of the documentation. Each page should include:

  1. a statement or a stamp that shows the certifier has seen the original documents. He or she should use words like ‘certified true copy of the original’ or ‘original sighted’
  2. the certifier’s signature
  3. the certifier’s full name
  4. the certifier’s organisation stamp
  5. the certifier’s position title (unless the certifier is a NIT Registered Agent)
  6. the date.

What about CVs?

If your course requires work experience, you must send us your curriculum vitae, along with translated and certified copies of work reference letters from previous employers. Reference letters should be set out on original company letterhead and state your job title, whether you were full-time or part-time, a precise description of your duties, dates of employment, and the full name, title and signature of the writer.