Find out if you are an International Student or a Domestic Student


An International Student is a person who:

  • is not a Citizen or a Permanent Resident of Australia; and
  • either holds a valid Australian student visa or intends to apply for an Australian student visa before the commencement of the course.

All international students who intend to study in Australia on a student visa require a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). The CoE (Confirmation of Enrolment) is an official document generated via PRISMS (Provider Registration and International Student Management System) that provides important information about your enrolment status. This document is required to be submitted to the Department of Home Affairs before applying for a student visa.

You must have a valid CoE at all times while you are studying on a student visa.




A Domestic Student is a person who is:

  • a Citizen of Australia; or
  • a Permanent Resident of Australia; or
  • a Citizen of New Zealand; or
  • a holder of an Australian Visa (other than Student Visa) that allows them to study in Australia with no limitations on study.

Domestic students do not require a CoE (generated via PRISMS) as they do not need to apply for a student visa. They are provided with an enrolment confirmation from NIT via email, once their enrolment is finalised.

Note: If you are a holder of an Australian visa, other than Student visa, you must have sufficient remaining duration on your visa to complete your studies at NIT from the date of your course commencement. Check course durations on the relevant course pages at NIT website.